More than 20k Covid Cases In India In 24 Hours For The First Time. There are 2,27,439 active cases of coronavirus infection in the country at present.
India’s COVID-19 tally touched 6,25,544 with the biggest single-day increase of 20,903 cases, while the death count rose to 18,213, the latest data from the Union Health Ministry shows. The number of recoveries stands at 3,79,892. The recovery rate has improved to 60.72 per cent. There are 2,27,439 active cases of coronavirus infection in the country at present. Maharashtra has reported the highest number of cases, followed by Tamil, Delhi, Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal and Rajasthan.
Here are the top 10 updates on coronavirus:
- Maharashtra, the state with the highest number of cases, has recorded 1,86,626 infections in the last 24 hours. With over 6,000 new cases of coronavirus reported in Mumbai in a day and a positivity rate of over 18 per cent, the spike in the number of cases is a worry. Authorities say the spike is along expected lines as many lockdown restrictions have been relaxed. Mumbai also has a high death rate due to COVID-19 and Maharashtra is now focussing on a new protocol for categorisation of patients to address the high number of deaths.
- Tamil Nadu again saw a single-day high of 4,343 fresh cases in day, with the state’s coronavirus tally touching 98,392. Capital Chennai 63.6 per cent of the total cases in the state.
- With over 92,175 total cases, Delhi has the highest number of coronavirus cases in India after Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu.India’s first plasma bank was inaugurated in Delhi on Thursday by Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal as he appealed to all those who can donate plasma to come forward and help others.
- Karnataka saw a single day spike, with the total number of cases crossing the 18,000-mark on Thursday. The number of cases in Bengaluru too has seen a sharp rise in recent days. The Karnataka government fresh guidelines for home isolation, based on the centre’s guidelines. Medic
- Neighbouring Kerala on Thursday saw 160 coronavirus cases with 202 recoveries. This is highest number for recoveries in a single day and comes after the state’s decision for change in the discharge norm, with people being discharged with a single negative test instead of two negatives.
- The country’s first made-in-India coronavirus vaccine may be launched by August 15, with the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) fast-tracking efforts to develop COVAXIN in partnership with Bharat Biotech International Limited. A dozen institutes have been selected for clinical trials of the indigenous COVID-19 vaccine (BBV152 COVID vaccine), the government’s top medical research body has said.
- The Drug Controller General of India, meanwhile, has approved pharmaceutical firm Zydus Cadila to start Phase I and Phase II human clinical trials of its COVID-19 vaccine. This is the second vaccine after COVAXIN to get the approval.
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah held a meet on Thursday to review the coronavirus situation in the National Capital Region – comprising Delhi and parts of Haryana and Uttar Pradesh – where he stressed on more testing and early hospitalisation to reduce mortality rates. Among the three states, the testing rate was lowest in Uttar Pradesh and at the meeting, there were questions on why Gautam Budh Nagar was only conducting 72 and Ghaziabad 78 tests per million.
- India has the fourth-highest number of coronavirus cases among 10 nations worst-hit by coronavirus. The coronavirus pandemic has killed 5,21,164 people globally since it emerged in China late last year. 1,08,63,518 people have been infected with the highly contagious virus.
- The US notched more than 53,000 new COVID-19 cases in 24 hours Thursday, a tally by Johns Hopkins University showed, a new one-day record as infections surge around the country.